3 Step Guide to Rhetorical Analysis
Step 1: Establish the rhetorical situation using SOAPs-Tone.
What is significant about this speaker
with this audience
with this message?
- Sender/receiver relationship: What is the stance between the speaker and audience?
- Message: What is the claim, really? What is the speaker’s tone toward the topic? Do you see any shifts in tone as you are reading the piece?
- Evidence: What kind of evidence is given and to what extent?
- Logic: What is the quality of the reasoning? What types of appeals are being used? Are there any fallacies?
- Language: What stylistic and rhetorical devices are being employed (tropes, schemes, diction, syntax) to communicate the message and how?